Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The idea of the "Mug"


It's funny the way things go as time passes. Three years ago I along with several friends joined the mug club and as time would have it only mark still has his mug in service. I was the first to retire my mug, why you ask, because the mug club was changed for the impersonnal. Later my brother retired his, why, the mug was worth to much to him to risk ever having to see it break or stolen, it now sits on a shelf with an action figure standing guard. Kevins mug was, to much of ours dismay, broke, what a loss. Although now it is being held together by adhesives, it shall sit on a shelf as a monument to beers drunk (estimated at 364) and time spent. Mike, who moved away, returned from st.Louis to find his mug broken, another memory held together by a simple adhesive. My mug you will find proudly displayed in my folks living room amongst heirlooms and old photos. Over time things close to you become too important, too valuable to risk, an interesting aspect of our daily lives when added time. I shall shed a tear. Who'd of thought a simple ceramic mug would become so important to a few local area drunkards.

No comments: