Thursday, July 20, 2006

Beer

There is one moment in my life that I shall never forget, it happened about three years ago. I tasted a beer and it had a taste to it, so fresh, I had never experienced this before. The fresh quality to the taste is not something a person comes across often (if ever). I don't know how to relate it to something so someone who knows nothing of good beer might understand. (the average fisherman is expected to catch a muskie every twelve years, this is close) My brother and I were drinking at our favorite microbrew-pub and they had on "cask" a beer we both would consider our farvorite beers on earth, Victory Pale, so we discused and asked the bar tender, I said "F it". I ordered one. The best beer i ever tasted in my life to date, seriously. Since then I think i've had maybe three other times experienced this fresh taste. The pale ale that night had been put on tap that very morning, fresh, normal beer at a micro brewery might be on tap for up to a month (give or take) and who knows when you might get it. Even so it could sit in the brewery tank for a little long to drain the exiting beer to maximize resources. Although at some brew pubs should you get it fresh will it taste fresh, i.e. at the prarrie rock in schaumburg, they must have dirty beer lines or something, all their beer tastes wierd, so I wouldn't go there expected to EVER taste that fresh taste. Also, i shouldn't have to say this but miller and budwieser will never and have never sold a beer with the fresh taste (pasturizing a beer strips it of most flavor). The taste is a crisp, bright, and clean taste, all the ingredients will be recognizable and it may smell of soap (citris). The first time I encountered this I couldn't believe it, the second was a month ago and i immediatly took full advantage, i commented to the owner of the pub and he said "well it is fresh" and i noticed him tasting it the second i walked away. The third, tonight. The Onion had their pale ale and the bartender said "just tapped the batch today" so, like a reflex myself and my brother-in-law asked for a sample. There it was, the kiss from an angel, the beer had it, freshness, he immediatly was trying to pawn his current beer onto his friend and i was planning on getting a growler (half gallon to bring home). It's like a dream when this happens, I can't wait till the next.

No comments: