Wednesday, March 30, 2016

My Last Day Working at Chase






             I worked at Chase for 7 years in the credit card services department.  It was awful.  The people that I worked with were a unique bunch. They had to put a policy in place because people would make popcorn at 7am, making the entire floor smell like it.  They had a rule that you couldn't have lunch at your desk, only a snack. The difference, after much litigation, is that a snack doesn't require a utensil. There's a mountain of bullshit I could happily outline for you but I'd rather we get right to it. 
              My last day was March, I don't know what day, 2014. On my last day I did what any respectable employee of a monolithic-peasant-fuck-machine would do and I put a microwavable popcorn pack in the microwave and turned it on high for as long as the piece of shit would go for and walked away.  
               I waited at my desk for about an hour before I would dare walk past the breakroom again.  There were several ladies standing outside of the breakroom muttering obscenities.  The smell was horrible.  You could cut the smell with a spoon, if you were allowed to have one at your desk.  Below you'll find the play by play I sent my brother via text.  It was great.


Pete:
Run to work, check
Burn popcorn, pending

Seth:
Ha ha

Pete:
Popcorn, check

Seth:
So what happened?  Any reactions?

Pete:
I just started it and walked away

Seth:
Ha ha

Pete:
5 min on high
I smell popcorn

Seth:
Ha

Pete:
No mass email yet
Oh shit
It stinks

Seth:
Ha ha

Pete:
Everyone's talking about it!
5 min is the magic number to burn popcorn
The whole floor smells bad

Seth:
I'm cracking up over here

Pete:
Good thing I didn't put it all the way to 6 min

Seth:
Ha ha

Pete:
This place is fucked

Seth:
Is it really that bad?

Pete:
I'm two isles from the farthest away
And it's strong 

Seth:
Ha ha

Pete:
I got one more pack

Seth:
Oh man

Pete:
I'll drop that one down stairs

Seth:
Yes

Pete:
Too bad I can't upper deck* the joint

Seth:
Oh man

Seth:
Any updates?

Pete:
No
The smell is clearing up

*an upper decker is when one goes number 2 into the tank of a toilet.

No comments: